y o u b i k e l o n d o n; Paul from Whatney Market

Name and age?
Paul, 23
Where do you live / ride to?
I live in Whatney Market, E1, and I ride to the West End every day to work.
What do you ride?
It's a Peugeut racer.
And how often?
Every day, Monday to Friday, and the weekends just for fun.
Helmet or no helmet?
No helmet. I wore one for the first year, and then changed my mind. I sweat less now.

What's your primary reason for cycling?
It saves money, saves me £25 a week in fares.
What's your least favourite aspect of cycling?
I don't know... that's a good one... I've always said "No risk, no fun" so I quite like cycling in London.  I don't like the heat that comes out the side of the buses, when you go past the exhaust at the back, and the dust going in your eyes.
What's your most favourite aspect of cycling?
Just passing everyone and waving at the guys in their cars in the queue.
What do you never leave the home without when riding?
I always have a pump in my bag, and a puncture repair kit obviosuly.
How many locks do you carry and have you ever had your bicycle stolen?
I got one stolen about two months ago, so the Peugeut is new for me.  I've not got a lock at the moment, but then I don't leave my bike outside at the either - I'm lucky 'cos during the day I can leave my bike in the basement at work, but I am looking for a really good lock at the moment.
What advice would you give an aspiring cyclist thinking of cycling in London for the very first time?
Get a lock! A good one!
And what could be done to improve the lot of the London cyclist?
I don't really know... the roads can't be widened so it's hard to make space for us, I'm not sure what the answer might be.  I think they're doing what they can and they're always building more and more bike paths - even on my route home there are more little paths now. But the roads and the lanes just get battered by the heavy traffic and every road is used so heavily; they just need to fill in the pot holes as soon as possible.

No comments: