Name and age?
Where do you live / ride to?
I live in Whatney Market, E1, and I ride to the West End every day to work.
What do you ride?
It's a Peugeut racer.
And how often?
Every day, Monday to Friday, and the weekends just for fun.
Helmet or no helmet?
No helmet. I wore one for the first year, and then changed my mind. I sweat less now.
What's your primary reason for cycling?
It saves money, saves me £25 a week in fares.
What's your least favourite aspect of cycling?
I don't know... that's a good one... I've always said "No risk, no fun" so I quite like cycling in London. I don't like the heat that comes out the side of the buses, when you go past the exhaust at the back, and the dust going in your eyes.
What's your most favourite aspect of cycling?
Just passing everyone and waving at the guys in their cars in the queue.
What do you never leave the home without when riding?
I always have a pump in my bag, and a puncture repair kit obviosuly.
How many locks do you carry and have you ever had your bicycle stolen?
I got one stolen about two months ago, so the Peugeut is new for me. I've not got a lock at the moment, but then I don't leave my bike outside at the either - I'm lucky 'cos during the day I can leave my bike in the basement at work, but I am looking for a really good lock at the moment.
What advice would you give an aspiring cyclist thinking of cycling in London for the very first time?
Get a lock! A good one!
And what could be done to improve the lot of the London cyclist?
I don't really know... the roads can't be widened so it's hard to make space for us, I'm not sure what the answer might be. I think they're doing what they can and they're always building more and more bike paths - even on my route home there are more little paths now. But the roads and the lanes just get battered by the heavy traffic and every road is used so heavily; they just need to fill in the pot holes as soon as possible.
- 101 reasons to love cycling in London
- air quality
- bike hire scheme
- bike lanes
- bikes on trains
- Boris Johnson
- City of London
- commuting by bike
- critical mass
- cycle advocacy
- cycle chic
- cycle infrastructure
- cycle parking
- cycle routes
- Department for Transport
- helmet law
- London cycle chic
- London Underground
- Mayor of London
- noise pollution
- Oxford Circus
- promoting cycling positively
- Transport for London
- Y O U B I K E L O N D O N
i b i k e l o n d o n
- A View from the cycle path (The Netherlands)
- Amsterdamize (The Netherlands)
- As Easy As Riding a Bike (U.K)
- At War With The Motorist (U.K)
- Auckland Cycle Chic (New Zealand)
- BIKEMINDED (U.K)
- Bicivilzados (Argentina / Spain)
- Bicycle Dutch (Cycling videos from the Netherlands)
- Change your life & ride a bike (U.S.A)
- Copenhagen Cycle Chic (Denmark)
- Copenhagenize (Denmark)
- Crap Cycling & Walking in Waltham Forest (London, UK)
- Cycalogical (Merton, London, UK)
- Cycle Gaz Croydon (U.K)
- Cycling Embassy of Denmark
- Cycling Embassy of Great Britain
- Cycling Embassy of the Netherlands
- Cycling Intelligence (U.K)
- Cyclists in the City (of London, UK)
- Do The Right Thing (U.K)
- EcoVelo (U.S.A)
- Freedom Cyclist (helmet free Australia)
- Kennington People on Bikes (London, UK)
- Let's go ride a bike! (U.S.A)
- Lisbon Cycle Chic (Portugal)
- Lo Fidelity Bicycle Club (U.K)
- London 5 day weather forecast from the BBC (U.K)
- London Cycle Chic (U.K)
- London Cycling Campaign (U.K)
- London Cyclist (U.K)
- London Fixed Gear & Single Speed Forum
- Pedestrianise London (U.K)
- People Powered (Germany)
- Portlandize (U.S.A)
- Real Cycling (U.K)
- Road CC (U.K)
- Road Danger Reduction Forum (UK)
- Simply Bike (U.S.A)
- Sit Up Cycle (Australia)
- Sportive Cycling - everything you wanted to know about road cycling but were too afraif to ask...
- The Bike Show (U.K)
- The Cycling Silk (U.K)
- The Guardian Bike Blog (U.K)
- The Vole O'Speed (U.K)
- Two Wheels Good (U.K)
- UK Cycle Rules (legal points for bikes, U.K)
- VeLo Loves the City (U.K)
- Yehuda Moon (bicycle comic, U.S.A)