y o u b i k e l o n d o n; Zack from Camden Town

Name /age?
Zack, 27
Where do you live / ride to?
I live in Camden Town and work in Oxford Circus.
What do you ride?
It's a Dahon space frame from the 1980s.
How often do you ride?
Every day.
Helmet, or no helmet?
Helmet, most of the time.
What's your primary reason for cycling?
Because I enjoy it, I mean I use the bike to commute to work, but it means I now enjoy the commute to work.
Least favourite aspect of cycling?
The weather, sometimes, and the Black Cab drivers.  I've not been cycling that long and it feels that they are the most impatient drivers on the road; they get very close and it feels dangerous.  I'd prefer it if they could give us some space.
Most favourite aspect of cycling?
Everything!  I love that you see a side of London from the seat of a bicycle that you wouldn't usually experience.
What do you never leave home without when cycling?
My housekeys and my lock.
How many locks do you carry and have you ever had your bicycle stolen?
Just the one, and it's not been stolen... ..yet.
What advice would you give to an aspiring cyclist thinking of riding in London for the very first time?
Just do it!  Get on your bike and get out on the road.  I thought about it for ages but I never learnt to cycle as a kid so was pretty nervous.  But I learnt to ride 4 months ago and I've ridden every day since.  It was scary, but I used the canals to learn at first, away from traffic.  My friends said, in hindsight, that was probably dangerous 'cos I could have fallen in but I figure water is softer than tarmac.  Now I ride all over.
What could be done to improve the lot of the London cyclist?
More bicycle lanes please!

Share |

2 comments:

Trish said...

Inspiring! Well done for learning to ride. You're never too old - or too young! :-)

Once you start cycling, you can't stop! It's infectious, ib a very good way! Keep cycling!

MELI. said...

very cool! love his blue sweater :D
great enerrgy --- keep pedaling Zack!