y o u b i k e l o n d o n; Derek

Name / age?
Derek, and I'm 29
Where do you live / ride to?
I live in Harringay and cycle to Tower Hamlets, to Mile End.  Recently, I've been cycling along the canal 'cos it's been really nice.  Usually I cycle down the roads, but the canal has been lovely.
How often do you ride?
Every day.


Helmet or no helmet?
Normally, no helmet unless I'm working  - I teach Mountain Biking to kids.
What's your primary reason for cycling?
It's the quickest way to get to work. And I love it. It's just great.
What's your least favourite aspect of cycling?I don't think I have a least favourite aspect... I don't like it when bikes break.  I'm a bike mechanic too, so I don't like it when they break!
What's your most favourite aspect of cycling?
Cycling is the closest thing to flying you can get.
When riding a bike, what do you never leave home without?
My glasess, wouldn't get far without them.
How many locks do you carry and have you ever had a bicycle stolen?
One lock, a D-lock, and I've not had a bike stolen in London... yet...
What advice would you give to an aspiring cyclist thinking of riding in London for the first time?
Wear your normal clothes, buy a nice fast bike, and that's it - just get out there and do it.
If you were Mayor of London for the day what would you do to improve the lot of the London cyclist?
I'd install lots more places to lock your bike up, lots more and better bike parking.

No comments: