y o u b i k e l o n d o n; Juliet from Archway

Name / age?
I'm Juliet, and 23 years old
Where do you live / ride to?
I live in Archway and I'm not working at the moment so I'm able to ride all over the place, where I like, I'm spending a lot of time in Hackney at the moment, I'm organising the Tour de Dalston.
What do you ride?
A single speed Fuji, freewheel not fixed.
How often?
Every day, rain or shine. I was riding in the rain a few months ago and came off on a pot hole, I didn't see it, went straight through, so riding in the rain is a bit um...


Helmet or no helmet?
No helmet.
What's your primary reason for cycling?
Freedom!
What's your least favourite aspect of cycling in London?
I'd say van drivers, they just seem to be the most agressive drivers on the road, revving their engines at the traffic lights.
What's your most favourite aspect of cycling in London?
Meeting other people and other cyclists is great.
When you are out riding what do you never leave home without?
My bank card. It's easy I keep it in my Oyster holder just in case something catches my eye.
How many locks do you carry and have your ever had a bicycle stolen?
Just one, and yes, I have had a bicycle stolen.  It was on Clerkenwell Road, I left it there, went back in the evening and it was gone.  It was terrible, I was so upset.  I was lucky in that I had insurance, so got the Fuji.
So you'd reccomend insurance?
I would, absolutely, yes.
What advice would you give to an aspiring cyclist thinking of riding for the very first time?
I would say go for it, but go with someone else who is an experienced cyclist, don't just go it alone, and it's more fun that way too.
If you were Mayor of London for the day, what would you do to improve the lot of the London cyclist?
I'd add more cycle lanes, and I'd make the 1st of every month car free day here. How about it?

The Tour de Dalston was a family bike ride through London's East End in June - despite the shocking weather a fun time was had by all.  Let's hope for a return of this cracking two wheeled event next year!

Share |

No comments: