y o u b i k e l o n d o n; Martin from Camden

Name / age?
Martin, and I was 43 the last time I checked.
Where do you live / ride to?
I live in Camden and I ride everywhere really, for my job, I work in hospitality so am often riding round to events.
What do you ride?
It's difficult to say... it's an old French frame, I got it years ago and it's my knocking about bike really.
How often do you ride?
Every day, come rain or shine.


Helmet or no helmet?
It depends on how safe I feel; what time I'm riding, that kind of thing.  If it's dark and raining and I'm riding in rush hour then generally I'll put a helmet on, but if I'm at leisure and not in a rush then I won't.
What's your primary reason for riding?
I like to keep fit, it is fun and I hate public transport.
What's your least favourite aspect of riding in London?
The wind!
Most favourite aspect of cycling in London?
Just the sense of freedom really, and not having a roof over your head as you get about.
When you're riding your bike what do you never leave the house without?
That's a good point actually, usually my Oyster card just in case I get caught out.
How many locks do you carry and have you ever had a bicycle stolen?
Yes, I always carry one big lock and then another lock to lock the wheels with.  I've had 5 going so far.
That's an impressive theft rate!
I know.. half were my fault, half weren't.  The last one was a favourite, I'd built it up gradually myself and it was a real shame.
What advice would you give an aspiring cyclist thinking of riding in London for the first time?
Just stay in your lane; don't zig zag around.  Try and get used to riding again before you go out on the road.  I find, with some of the newer cyclists you see on Boris Bikes that they sometimes zig zag between parked cars and are unpredictable - being predictable and riding in a straight line is the way to go.
Lastly, if you were Mayor for the day what would you to improve the lot of the London cyclist?
I think they've done some reasonable work in south London with the blue lanes, but I'd just finish it off properly and make the bike lanes like the M25 with no breaks in it so you get to your destination as quickly as possible.

2 comments:

GreenComotion said...

Nice post! I have never been to London (yet), but I hear lots of nice things about the city and how it is bike-friendly.

The place where you are hanging out looks like a really laid-back place. We need more places like that in Dallas Texas :)

Peace :)

Martyn said...

Hi , the place is on the South Bank of the Thames river near the underside of Waterloo bridge. Critical Mass meets at this spot before hitting the roads. Cheers