y o u b i k e l o n d o n; Somin from Hackney

Name / age?
I'm Somin, I'm 25
Where do you live / ride to?
I live in Hackney and ride all over but usually to work.  It's much quicker than the bus.
What do you ride?
I don't know the manufacturer. It's a fixed with Campagnolo components.
How often do you ride?
5 days a week.

Helmet or no helmet?
I do own a helmet, but only use it on long distance rides.
What's your primary reason for cycling?
To save money on transport.
Least favourite aspect of cycling?
The Black Cab drivers.
Most favourite aspect of cycling?
I love to ride around London, especially at night when you see the sites and the lights.  I often go on rides with the LFGSS forum people and it's really nice.
What do you never leave the house without when cycling?
I carry a pump in case I get a puncture, and my lights.
How many locks do you carry and have you ever had a bicycle stolen?
My first bike got stolen, this is my fourth.  I carry 2 locks on longer rides or if I know I'm going to be leaving my bike somewhere a long time.
What advice would you give to an aspiring cyclist thinking of riding for the very first time?
I was quite afraid of the road at first, but once I got used to it and how to get from A to B I learnt it's quite easy actually.
What could be done to improve the lot of the London cyclist?
The drivers should respect that cyclists also have a right to be on the roads, and get used to us being here.

Share |

3 comments:

Anne said...

Wow, nice photo and interview! Somin rides a fixed, but also has that breezy, stylish, cycle chic look.

I really enjoy your Friday feature!

ibikelondon said...

Hi Anne, I agree Somin has great style. I really like her jacket and the black trousers / white socks / black frame / white tyres look is priceless!

Anonymous said...

You need a minimum of two locks no matter how long you're leaving your bike - it only takes the thieves a few seconds. Murray